Urban development of Nowy Tomyśl
Urban development of the oldest part of Nowy Tomyśl is especially worth seeing. It consists of two markets: the bigger one - Niepodległości Square and the smaller one - Chopin Square, which are connected with the Mickiewicz Street. Originally the city also embraced few other streets adjacent to both squares. In this oldest part of the city there are several well preserved buildings mostly from the second part of the 19 th and from the beginning of the 20th century. These are mainly brick buildings. One should definitely see the following ones.
- house no. 17 from the beginning of the 20th century in the Chopin Square - a four-storey building, the highest one in the old part of the city
- house no. 8 at the corner of Poznańska Street (former hotel) built in the second part of the 19th century in a neo-renaissance style with the front decorated with two sculptures of muses
- tenement house at the corner of Mickiewicz Street from the second part of the 19th century
- post-office from 1884 in Piłsudski Street
- County Police Headquarters in Piłsudski Street
- complex of eclectic houses build in homogeneous style from the beginning of the 20th century with varied elevations in 3 Stycznia Street
Sacred Heart of Jesus Church
The church is situated in the Chopin Square. It was built in the years 1778-1779 as a protestant church. It is a brick and plastered building in the form of a Greek cross with all arms of equal length.
Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church
built in 1895 in Piłsudski Square.
City Hall from 1879 in Niepodległości Street (today seat of the District Court).
The 27 m high Windmill from about 1885 in Zbąszyńska Street.
Water tower from the beginning of the 20th century in Komunalna Street.
Hospital, the oldest part of which was built in 1905.
The surroundings of Nowy Tomyśl are the greatest Dutch settlement area in Wielkopolska. From several types of Dutch settlements, there is only dispersed settlement here, caused by management of these areas by means of forest clearing. The sign of the Dutch settlement is the today's rural settlement in the city surroundings. On a large area there are single dispersed farms connected with each other with roads and paths. In large farms one can still find solid wooden buildings from the 19th and even from the 18th century. The Dutch settlement in the Nowy Tomyśl municipality can be found in the following localities: Sękowo, Glinno, Paproć, Przyłęk, Boruja Nowa, Szarki, Grubsko, Kozie Laski oraz Cicha Góra.